Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Billy Joel Plays George Rodrigue's Blue Dog Steinway During New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival Fundraiser

Billy Joel stops into the George Rodrigue Foundation of the Arts (GRFA) to play the Rodrigue Steinway for the 2013 New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival Fundraiser
Billy Joel stops into the George Rodrigue Foundation of the Arts (GRFA) to play the Rodrigue Steinway for the 2013 New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival Fundraiser Courtesy Musings of an Artist's Wife

Another inspiring post from Musings of an Artist's Wife - By Wendy Rodrigue, Wife of Artist George Rodrigue

This time of year is a wonderful time to be living in Cajun Country.  Not only is it Crawfish season, but for several weekends in a row we celebrate the amazing cultural heritage of our south Louisiana communities.

I'm particularly fond of the Festival International de Louisiane and the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival, having spent a substantial chunk of my childhood in both Lafayette and New Orleans.  In Wendy Rodrigue's latest blog post, she shares some of the ways music, art, and storytelling intersect through George Rodrigue's own past.

... AND Billy Joel stops by to jam on George Rodrigue's Blue Dog Steinway piano!

This particular post hits home for me, not just because I grew up in New Orleans and Lafayette.  The funny thing is I lived about a mile from where George Jones' house was "north of Lafayette," as Wendy quotes George Rodrigue saying in her post "Dance with me, George!".

As I've mentioned before, although I love George Rodrigue's Blue Dog paintings, his Cajun themed work touches a sensitive spot for me and I'm glad Wendy shared a few pictures that included this piece, one of my personal favorites, Dance With Me Henry.

Dance with Me Henry, 1989; oil on canvas by George Rodrigue; Courtesy Musings of an Artist's Wife

No comments :

Post a Comment